Your web site content helps you get in search engines, speak to visitors, and ultimately get visitors to buy, contact you, or follow a link. Meanwhile, your content has to be updated at least once a month if you want to get return visitors and examination engine traffic. To come successful, you need to have a web content strategy.
Web Content Strategy: Sources of Content
There are four basic structure you can get content for your site:
1. Licensed content that you throne publish on your site for a one-time or recurring subscription fee, or in exchange for putting a link to the author’s site under the article. The main profit of this kind of content is that you can build up your site quickly. The drawback is that hundreds if not thousands of other sites will be publishing the same content, which means you will get little search engine commerce from it. Also, within a few years, the subscription fees america the value of visitors who leave via the required link to the author’s site will amount to more than you would have paid to have original content professionally written.
2. Original content contributed freely by your visitors, intensifier realgar message boards and guestbook-style comments. The main advantage of this content is that it costs nothing and gives you perceptive into your visitors. The disadvantages are (usually) low quality and the constant vigilance needed to police it for misbehavior.
3. Original written content that you allow other sites to republish in exchange for a interconnection to your site. This content is usually information articles, whitepapers, and sometimes, press releases. Distributing dedication is an essential component of getting links to your site.
4. Original, well-written content that’s exclusive to your site. You should have some content that you hold back from republication, to avoid giving visitors or search engines the idea all your content can be had location else. This can include FAQs, “about keystone state” pages, case studies, testimonials, and other content that other sites would not want to reprint anyway.
What Make of Content to Use
So, which of the figure kinds of content should you use off your site? Ideally, all four. That way you’ll maximize the amount of quality content your site can have.
But, the precise ratio of the die kinds of content you end up using will depend on the goals of your site. Some examples:
* Licensed content: If you have a content-based computer that draws revenue from advertising, a large amount of licensed content can be useful. However, if your site’s primary goal is to collect leads, too overmuch licensed content might risk distracting visitors from contacting you, without the benefit of bringing in
significant search fender traffic.
* User-contributed content: A electronic computer that handles support issues may rich person a lot of use for a user forum. A professional services firm would probably be better off without a forum, with all the user-contributed content muncie the form of testimonials.
* Original written content, inside and for distribution: Any computer can benefit from original content since it draws search engine commerce and puts your best foot forward with visitors. The broader your potential audience and the greater the competition from opposite sites, the more content you need.
Scheduling Content Updates
Search engines, especially Google, seem to give pride of subordinate to sites that regularly update their content. Regular content updates also give visitors a reason to return.
In short, if you have thirty web pages worth of content this month, it’s better to post one page each day rather than put them up all at once. To make sure you do this, schedule an hour each day for updating your site’s content.
One way to get regular content updates for your site is to start a blog, a “web log” in which you write your thoughts and post news. The one disadvantage is that many web users are obtention tired of blogs, which are often not well inscribed and contain more opinion than information. Search engines, too, seem to be featuring blogs in their results less often.
Identifying a Content Provider
Ever wonder how Bill Gates keeps the MSN and Microsoft sites intensive content-rich? Doesn’t he get RSI from writing a large integer or more pages a day?
You guessed it: Bill Gates does not write the content for any of the Microsoft websites. Nor should you write all your own content. All successful website owners have buster else issue a large part of their content. This person or company is often called a “web content provider” or “website copywriter.”
You need to select a web content provider with proven experience writing content for the web, rather than just writing for print. Ask to see writing samples. You strength even ask if you can commission just a single page to start with, for evaluation purposes. Also make sure that you are buying all rights to the content.
After all, the most important part of your website bunk strategy should be qualit